Straighten Up America Day is October 16th part 3- Healthy Lifestyle Recommendations
Straighten Up Lifestyle Choices:
- Choose to improve. You are worth it. Maintain a positive perspective. Take small steps at first; set specific measurable health goals and achieve them. Celebrate your health successes; learn from temporary setbacks and move on. Choose to see life as an adventure. Keep learning for a lifetime.
- Choose to enjoy healthy, invigorating activity at least 30 minutes daily when possible. Begin slowly, making gradual improvements. Keep an activity log or calendar (you can download a PDF version HERE or a Word Document version HERE) . If you buy a pedometer, you can count and track your steps. Choosing active hobbies will add variety and spice to your life. Exercise for flexibility, balance, strength and endurance. Perform “Straighten Up” daily to improve your posture and strengthen your core muscles.
- Choose to live tobacco free for your personal health and for your loved ones. Tobacco has detrimental effects on your nervous system and skeletal structures, as well as on your lungs and heart.
- Choose healthy foods. Eat naturally. Enjoy whole grain breads and cereals. Choose several daily servings of fresh fruit and vegetables rich in antioxidants and phytonutrients. Calcium and magnesium rich foods help to build strong spinal columns. Avoid saturated and trans fats found in fast, fried foods. Instead eat more omega 3 fats from flax seed products, walnuts and small ocean fish for healthy spinal joints. Choose high quality protein foods. Avoid refined sweets, such as sodas, cookies and candy. When supplementing your diet with vitamins and minerals, make quality choices. Eating in a relaxed atmosphere enhances digestion and assimilation of nutrients.
- Choose good posture while sitting, standing or lifting. Hold your head high; keep your shoulders back. Lift by bending your legs with objects held close to your torso. This helps to prevent injury. Take frequent mini breaks. Segments of Straighten Up work well for this purpose. Change work positions often.
- Choose a balanced supportive book bag/back pack for school, work or recreation. Carry less weight at one time. Use a bag with broad, padded straps securely positioned on both shoulders. (You can view my previous post series: Backpack Safety for more information on this.)
- Choose a comfortable supportive mattress. For optimal spinal health sleep on your side or on your back, not face down. Plan for sufficient restful sleep.
- Choose to be quiet. The stress of life impacts your health and your posture. Take time for relaxation and renewal. Practice thankfulness and positive thinking. Reflect, pray or meditate daily. Read uplifting writings.
- Choose to serve others. Volunteerism and service enhance the quality of our lives and our relationships.
- Choose to be kind to your spine. Regular spinal health check-ups, care and exercises help to ensure that your spine is balanced, aligned and well-adjusted. A healthy spine and nervous system add balance and harmony to life.
I hope this series was both informative and helpful to empower you to toward better spinal health and an improved quality of life… and remember to check back soon … or simply keep yourself up to date with what is going on at Belvidere Chiropractic Center by subscribing to Belvidere Chiropractic’s RSS Feed or to our Email Updates. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIN.
And please feel free to leave a comment below.