Family fitness is about a lot more than exercise. Food and eating habits are just as important. You must also practice good diet and eating habits as well.
- Eat meals together as a family.
- Eat a small breakfast daily. A yogurt smoothie, multigrain toast with preserves, and some fruit.
- Limit fast food. No more than 1 a week! It’s a treat not a nutritious meal!
- Use correct portion sizes. 1/2 a plate of fruits and/or veggies, 1/4 with protein, 1/4 whole grains.
- Portions add up. 100 extra calories a day will add 10 pounds to your weight in a year. That’s just 4 Oreo cookies or 2/3 of a soda/canned drink a day!
- Limit sugar-sweetened beverages. Try water with a squeeze of lemon.
- Drink more water.
- Get your children involved with grocery shopping and reading food labels.
- Let children have one day a week to cook healthy meals. It is more likely that your kids will eat healthy foods if they have had a hand in preparing them.
- Find recipes for healthy good tasting snacks you can make. Hummus and pita chips, celery sticks with peanut butter, or fruit with yogurt dip.
- Take a healthy cooking class together.
- Focus on prevention of weight gain, not losing weight.
I hope you find this information useful and welcome any of your thoughts on this subject. So, if you’d like to, feel free to leave a comment below.