This is a guest post by: Sophie Morgan a passionate blogger and a nutritionist who loves to provide many suggestions to people for planning proper diet and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Presently she works on behalf of a EHIC card an European health insurance card.
The body’s immune system plays a critical role in the fight against diseases. As such, professionals in the health care field have recommended that the immune system be boosted so as to enhance its ability to effectively carry out its functions. Eating foods that are rich in vitamins A, B, C, D, E and zinc will go a long way in ensuring a healthy immune system. Fruits and vegetables are known to contain high quantities of these nutrients. Subsequently, including them in the daily diet is one way of making sure that one’s immune system is strong enough to fight off diseases.
Best veggies for a healthy lifestyle:
The following veggies stand out as the ones that contain the nutrients essential for the realization of a body that is disease-proof.
Garlic has a number of nutritional properties. Studies have shown that garlic contains components that guard cells against harmful compounds. Moreover, it can serve an antiseptic function and also prevent the occurrence of diseases associated with old age.
- Spinach – is rich in numerous minerals and nutrients that help in the attainment of a healthy immune system. It contains beta carotene, which the body converts into vitamin A. Vitamin B, vitamin C, vitamin E and zinc are also found in spinach.
- Mushrooms – edible mushrooms strengthen T cells, a major component of the immune system, helping in the prevention of several forms of cancer. Moreover, T cells remove the body cells that have been destroyed by viruses, preventing the spread of the same.
- Carrots – the benefits of carrots are better realized when the same are eaten in their raw form. They contain beta carotene and will help the immune system in fighting flu and cold.
- Tomatoes and onions – both vegetables contain useful antioxidants essential for the body. Tomatoes, like spinach, contain beta carotene, and have cancer-prevention properties. Onions, on the other hand, are known to lower the risk of high blood pressure.
Best fruits for a healthy lifestyle:
Fruits form a significant part of healthy foods that boost the immune system, resulting in a healthy and largely disease-free lifestyle. Fruits are mainly rich in different kinds of vitamins.
- Berries – both blueberries and strawberries are rich in vitamins A and C, vitamins that promote the production of antibodies. Blueberries contain antioxidants as well.
- Kiwifruit – this fruit has vitamin E, which helps in increasing the number of T cells in the body. Besides, it also boosts the immune system through the high quantities of vitamin C that it is rich in.
- Citrus fruits – like oranges and limes contain nutrients that boost the functioning of white blood cells which get rid of harmful compounds that attack the body. The vitamin C in the fruits will also support the immune system to ensure wounds heal faster and infections are effectively fought.
- Watermelons– compared to other fruits, contain high quantities of vitamin A. Eating a watermelon fruit or drinking watermelon juice, will supply the body with sufficient quantities of the vitamin.
- Apples – are one of the best fruits that fortify the disease fighting ability of the body. Apples prevent cancers, diabetes, heart diseases, control cholesterol levels and help in ridding the liver of toxins.
These fruits can help in making the immune system stronger. However, if the body develops a disease or infection, it is advisable to seek professional attention. If one’s health insurance has expired, EHIC renewal is a wise step to take forthwith to make your family health secure.